There is a reason why homemade deodorants and soaps have been rising significantly in popularity lately, and the reason is that more and more people are realizing just how harmful commercial deodorants can be to their body.
Armpits are both the body’s entry and exit points. After years of using conventional deodorants or antiperspirants, a lot has been absorbed via the skin. Once you stop using the chemicals, there are toxins that have to leave the body first and allow you to make a fresh start. Some of those toxins are:
- Aluminum: Aluminum compounds are found in deodorants as they help with prevention of sweating. There are dozens of studies showing the link between excess aluminum in or our organism and occurrence of disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, breast, and prostate cancer. In addition, aluminum is also known to mess with our hormones, and the number of lymph nodes in the armpit region makes this fact worrying.
- Formaldehyde: This chemical is commonly used to preserve dead tissue, and deceased bodies, and it is a proven carcinogen.
- Parabens: These belong in a group of preservatives, and they are known to cause hormonal imbalance, and issues such as early puberty onset. A study conducted back in 2014 found parabens in 18 out of 20 samples of tissue infected with breast cancer.
- Phtalates: A known hormone disruptor, this chemical has been linked with infertility in men, as well as with messing with our insulin levels and causing diabetes.
- Propylene glycol: This chemical is commonly known as antifreeze, and it can lead to damage on our nervous system, liver, and heart. It can also cause reaction on the skin, and it is estimated that it makes 50% of total content of some deodorants.
- Triclosan: When combined with water this chemical creates chloroform gas, known as a potential cancer causing gas. It also disrupts our hormonal balance.
Why we need an armpit detox?
All of the above makes many re-consider their nicely smelling cosmetic products. However, after years of constant use, there is a bit of a backlog. That is where an armpit detox might come in handy:
- It will help pull out some of the chemicals stuck in the skin and tissue under the armpit.
- It will prevent uncomfortable reactions that often accompany the switch to a more natural deodorant.
The best possible way for us to get rid of all the toxic build-up caused by years of deodorant use is to switch to a natural version. It is performed in less than 30 minutes and you will only need some common and cheap ingredients: water, apple cider vinegar, and bentonite clay.
The recommended amounts are:
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of Bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Add the ingredients to a glass bowl and mix well
- Spread out the mixture over your armpits using a cloth
- Leave on for 20 minutes (some redness might occur due to an increased blood flow)
- Rinse thoroughly with water
- Repeat the process for a few days